Death and Dying

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Death and Dying

Post  Alfax on Mon May 05, 2008 7:28 pm

Wade8813 wrote:I like your flavorful ideas, although it seems that if you could just make new robot bodies, they'd all have teh nuts physical stats.
Not necessarily. Maybe your people can't make cyborgs that can support the ability to have "teh nutz statz." I know what you're thinking "But Alfax, wouldn't the heroes then all have duplicate stats what with them all being built to the same specs?" Legitimate concern, sir, but let Me put your mind at ease. Let's just say these lil' chips that hold your consciousness have limitations on what they can do, and by gaining experience and levels you unlock certain aspects of your roboty self. So Fighter Rob't knows how to slid his metallic plates around to block blows from connecting to his fragile inner core, but can't active to subroutines to cast a fireball. Conversely, Mage Rob't has access to the magical subroutines and can do all sorts of cool things, but doesn't know the difference between his arm and his leg, let alone how to use them to fight. All things can be solved with a lil' dash o' flavor.
FarceQactuar wrote:get to said 'core' part and/or just destroy it
There's a small ventilation shaft...
Korohit wrote:1. Who else or what category of people will be able to be raised [Will there be a typology or methodology to it, or will it be mostly ad hoc with some guidelines?]
Personally I like it best when a world has rules that govern their magic and/or reality. It doesn't have to be super concrete, there's obviously going to be some vagueness in how the universe would determine who gets back. Unless you're robots, or one of CJ's other well-conceived ideas. But if it's going to be something like raising magic works on some but not on others then I would like some explanation as to why it would be that way. Something like your spiritual balance is more tipping toward staying on the material plane and getting on with your business (just throwing things out there!). Or it's some great universal mystery, plot-hook anyone?
Alfax
Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 on Sat May 17, 2008 9:24 am

Not necessarily. Maybe your people can't make cyborgs that can support the ability to have "teh nutz statz." I know what you're thinking "But Alfax, wouldn't the heroes then all have duplicate stats what with them all being built to the same specs?" Legitimate concern, sir, but let Me put your mind at ease. Let's just say these lil' chips that hold your consciousness have limitations on what they can do, and by gaining experience and levels you unlock certain aspects of your roboty self. So Fighter Rob't knows how to slid his metallic plates around to block blows from connecting to his fragile inner core, but can't active to subroutines to cast a fireball. Conversely, Mage Rob't has access to the magical subroutines and can do all sorts of cool things, but doesn't know the difference between his arm and his leg, let alone how to use them to fight. All things can be solved with a lil' dash o' flavor.
I can get how you can need subroutines for Dex, and maybe Con, but Str seems pretty much you either got it or ya don't. You can work out to get stronger, but you don't particularly need to know how to use it. (Hulk SMASH!)
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze on Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 pm

The topic of the thread is death and dying. A discussion on whether it is a logical truth or great likelihood that robots would have what would be relatively high physical stats compared to humans in a typical DnD/Sanban setting is not really relevant. The idea of the robots and CJ's other ideas were proof of concept that there could be something intrinsic to specific individuals that makes them raise-able. It demonstrates that the idea works in at least some settings, so that some form of it could be workable in other cases.

Back to the most recent topic at hand: Joel, or others who'd like to chime in, what's your opinion on the various kinds of systems for allowing 'raises.'

Rain Cloud

View user profile http://kevinblaze.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2