Setting: Steampunk in a points of light world?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Setting: Steampunk in a points of light world?

Post  Alfax on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Back to being on topic, could someone tell Me more about this 'Steampunk'? I've heard it described as steam tech, but also as airships, which would require a more magical or non-steamy source of power. Are there guns? Locomotives, trains? What's the tech limit?
Alfax
Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Based strictly on the name, I'd guess approximately the level of technology that existed around the time the steam engine was invented. That said, I really have no idea...
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Historical Steampunk basically takes place in a recognizable historical period (sometimes an alternate-history version of an actual historical period) where the Industrial Revolution has already begun but electricity is not yet widespread [Though sometimes it is in some specific fashion], with an emphasis on steam- or spring-propelled gadgets. The most common historical steampunk settings are around the English Victorian Era [mid to late 1800s]..

Examples:
Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series
Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman
The time period Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World series is set in
Brotherhood of the Wolf starring Samuel Le Bihan
Neil Gaiman's Stardust

There's also western Steampunk. Like Will Smith's Wild Wild West, or The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Then we have Fantasy Steampunk, which is the direction I'm leaning. Fantasy Steampunk, a fantasy world that's rich in steam tech and is somewhat similar to the Historical version except as modified by the high magic or alternate history.
Examples are the works of China Miéville, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series [The Golden Compass is the first book], to draw upon some anime examples: Fullmetal Alchemist, Last Exile, Steamboy, and Howl's Moving Castle are all rather epicly steampunk settings. Final Fantasy VI and Wild Arms make good examples too. Final Fantasy VII goes over the top with Midgar, but much of the rest of the world gives a Steampunkish feel. Its gritty, industrialized, but at the same time somehow romanticized.

I hope we can relate on at least some of these examples :-).

Rain Cloud

View user profile http://kevinblaze.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Coments: Many, varied, and I may not get to them all

Post  FarceQactuar on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:27 am

In the order of remembering what I wanted to say to multiple things:
-The best way to explain steampunk, I think, is seeing it as real world technology level, or slightly lower, but instead of going one way they went another. It's all very fantasticle, since theres usually no true scientific explanation for why things work in a steampunk setting, but they can do most everything that we can, with a possibility of being able to do some things much better, and some things much worse or not at all. Most FF games, esp. 9 are a good example of this.

-An idea for making the epic6 system work a bit better would be to start people off more heroic, towards the level 6ish range, then have advancement go towards a sort of mid range level 9-11, or have advancement start at gaining more feats. It would all be somewhat akin to the white wolf systems of starting characters with a large swath of power, then letting them get slightly better as they go on. I'm thinking this would lead towards more thinking of what your character wants to DO rather than what they want to be ABLE to do.

-blah remebering skucks

-oh, On the note of death, perhaps a system close to what 'fax was talking about, where you loose some possibly arbitrary amount of powers, perhaps your stats get lowered, perhaps you have slightly less hit points, but then not having an arbitrary static duration for this penalty, but having it come back when it seems plausable that you've recovered from whatever horrible near-death experience you had.

out of time so thats it for now
FarceQactuar
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfax on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:56 pm

So, guns? No guns? Cars? Trains? Magic Trains (stupid!)? Ro'bts? Basically I want to know the limits of our new "industrialized" potential SBan before I can say anything about if I think I would like it.
Alfax
Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:20 pm

Steam Ships, Steam Trains [No personal vehicles though, too inefficient on a steam scale], Steam Robots and machines, and Steam-powered weapons [not hand-held guns, not 'fantasticle' enough, cannon-type things probably though].

FMA, FF VI, Stardust, Golden Compass, and Wild Arms are the 5 top examples from the ones previously posted.

Rain Cloud

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinBlaze on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:50 am

Also important to the setting what races will be available.

I'm thinking for PC Races:
Humans
Goblins - Now with a fiendish history and also finally as an sanban race with some kind of str or melee edge
Dwarves - the world needs dwarves, now with more surface dwelling
Tyvele - now as both the natural world pious race and the mischievous folk

Any other votes for replacements or fan favorites?

Rain Cloud

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:46 am

I'd kinda like a physically bigger race, either half Orcs, or Areid, or whatever.
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarceQactuar on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:27 am

On the same sort of note as above, maybe a mentally bigger race, or if not actually mentally bigger, they at least think they are. Elves, gnomes, etc are good examples, but sban has never really had anyone to fill this niche aside from the end all do all humans.
FarceQactuar
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:32 am

Making a class that is actually better at a mental stat = spellcaster. And while it may not be overpowered to have a boost to mental stats, it does pretty much guarantee that if you're a spellcaster, you'll be that one class (barring significant changes to the way things are set up now). The boost to a mental stat outweighs almost any other benefit available to spellcasters.
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfax on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:06 pm

While that may be true, we let it happen now anyway. Remember Rurik? His psionic powers are based off his Con score of all ridiculous things. So he's a Dwarf, not only does his race improve his health, fort save, but also his "spells." As it stands, most spellcasters are humans now anyway so they can get the bonus feat. So the argument that they would all be one race doesn't work too well when they are already humans.
Alfax
Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 am

While that may be true, we let it happen now anyway. Remember Rurik? His psionic powers are based off his Con score of all ridiculous things. So he's a Dwarf, not only does his race improve his health, fort save, but also his "spells." As it stands, most spellcasters are humans now anyway so they can get the bonus feat. So the argument that they would all be one race doesn't work too well when they are already humans.
Psionics are no longer based on all of the different stats - they're now based on the mental stats (depending on what your class is). Also, one of the running complaints is that Wizards get bonus feats, but often have nothing to do with them. I guess at first level there's generally enough good feats to get, but they soon run out, and all those bonus feats aren't that special. Plus, even without benefitting their primary mental stat, a spellcaster could definitely use a racial bonus to Dex or Con...
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfax on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:49 pm

From what I understand having made Wizards, isn't that their feats don't have much use, it's that they don't have much use yet. The bonus feats that a wizard gets from their class are all item creation or metamagic feats. And what can you do with those at low levels? Jack squat. You don't have access to the spells, research materials, or xp required to make any decent magic item that would be worth it. And you don't have the spell levels that are required to make good use of the metamagic feats. But when you get higher leveled you can use them. And you can use them a lot. So what does a wizard get with his non-class feats? Well, he can get standard things wizards get (imp initiative), prereqs for a prestige class, (now) reserve feats, and prolly other things that would be in the books I haven't looked at all too much.

Sure a wizard would like to gain a bonus to dex or con, but they aren't necessary to survival. As the wizard, if you're already being attacked things have gone horribly wrong somewhere down the meatshield line and those extra couple hp or 1 more ac aren't likely to save you. Planning for your future or having a better magical ability to deal with the now would serve you better, which is what those feats give you. So, I'm gonna have to say bonus feat > physical stat bonus.
Alfax
Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarceQactuar on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:39 am

FarceQactuar wrote:On the same sort of note as above, maybe a mentally bigger race, or if not actually mentally bigger, they at least think they are. Elves, gnomes, etc are good examples, but sban has never really had anyone to fill this niche aside from the end all do all humans.

It feels a bit weird to quote myself, but I'd like to point out the fact that I wasn't trying to paint a picture that would digress into bickering about races getting + to stats and how bork-en that is sometimes. I was trying to suggest we have a race that, as a race, thinks itself more thinky.
To illuminate this I used some fairly good, and non + to mental stat, examples (I'd like to think so at least). First elves, who on a whole may not be smarter than other races, but certainly act like they are, and usually come with a smarmy self-assured air of arrogance that makes them so lovable.
Then the gnomes, who have a tendency towards more cunning than book smarts, but still fill the void of 'mentally bigger' to me.

Looking back on what prompted this thought from me, the suggestion of a physically stronger race - stats-wise, I'd like to reiterate again that I didn't intend to focus solely, or even mostly, on stats.
FarceQactuar
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade8813 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:11 am

It feels a bit weird to quote myself, but I'd like to point out the fact that I wasn't trying to paint a picture that would digress into bickering about races getting + to stats and how bork-en that is sometimes. I was trying to suggest we have a race that, as a race, thinks itself more thinky.
Sure, that makes sense. You mentioned both races that are more thinky, and ones that merely perceive themselves as such. I was only addressing the former. The latter seems completely reasonable to me, and I did not intend to bury your good idea under discussion of something you weren't even focusing on.
Wade8813
Cloudless Day

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2